The Black Keys, Bel Biv DeVoe to perform Fenway at 2023 Winter Classic
By Matt Pepin, The Boston Globe
Music group Bel Biv DeVoe will perform the national anthem along with the Boston Pops at the NHL’s Winter Classic at Fenway Park on Jan. 2, the league announced Wednesday.
The Black Keys will perform during during the first intermission, the NHL announced.
Bel Biv DeVoe, the Boston-based spinoff of music group New Edition, released its first album “Poison” in 1990 and features group members Ricky Bell, Michael Bivins, and Ronnie DeVoe. They will sing the national anthem while the Boston Pops, led by conductor Keith Lockhart, plays the music.
The Boston Pops will also perform throughout the game on a special stage located in center field of Fenway Park.
The Black Keys, comprised of singer/guitarist Dan Auerbach and drummer Patrick Carney, formed in 2001 and have released 11 albums.
The 2023 Winter Classic will begin at 2 p.m. on Jan. 2, featuring a matchup of the Boston Bruins vs. the Pittsburgh Penguins. It will be the first time the NHL has returned to a site to hold a Winter Classic. Fenway Park also hosted the game on Jan. 1, 2010.
Get the latest Boston sports news
Receive updates on your favorite Boston teams, straight from our newsroom to your inbox.
- New emergency rule bans fishermen from parts of Massachusetts Bay for 3 months
- What exactly is wind chill, and how is it calculated? Boston braces for arctic blast.
- Man sprints across Mass. highway to stop woman’s runaway car
- Three concerning trends keep sprouting up during the Bruins’ losing streak
- Body of 96-year-old woman found in Chicago garage freezer