The Best Herbs for Cleaning your Place
For a long time, herbs have been used to add flavor and texture to meals. But, did you know you could use herbs to clean your house? Turns out, herbs work just as well at keeping the house clean and smelling fresh. You no longer have to rely on expensive specially-formulated cleaners that are laden with toxic fumes and heavy chemicals. Whether you plant these herbs in your home garden or buy them from the farmer’s market, we guide you on how to make homemade herbs for cleaning your home.
Mint is a herb with a strong aroma that leaves a sweet and cool effect on the tongue. Peppermint has more of a menthol taste, and the fresh leaves have the most flavor and scent compared to dried leaves.
A mint house cleaner is great for eliminating mineral deposits from bathroom faucets and washbasins.
- A half-cup of water
- One cup of white vinegar
- One cup of chopped mint/peppermint leaves
- Five teaspoon baking soda
- Mix water and vinegar in a one to two ratio and pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
- Add the baking soda and mix well.
- Add the chopped fresh mint leaves and shake well.
The mint house cleaner is ready to use. Spray it on the surfaces you want to clean and let it stay for about two minutes before wiping off with a clean cloth.
If you find the smell of vinegar too much, you can reduce the amount and increase that of mint/peppermint.
Note: You can make herb-infused vinegar using a herb or two of your choice, such as thyme, rosemary, and sage. To do so, chop a cup or two of the herbs and place them in a jar. Cover the jar with white vinegar and let it sit for a few weeks and then strain the liquid.
Mix the herb-infused vinegar with water (one to one ratio) in a spray bottle and use it to clean surfaces.
Eucalyptus has a distinctive fragrance and is the main ingredient in products used to treat colds, coughs, and congestion. Eucalyptus oil can make a good cleaning agent for your bathroom, and its antibacterial and antiviral properties make it a good disinfectant.
Here’s how to make a eucalyptus house cleaner:
- Five to six drops of tea tree oil
- Five to six drops of eucalyptus oil
- Mix the tea tree and eucalyptus oils in a cleaning spray bottle and give them a good shake.
Use the natural cleaner to wipe down your shower, sink, and bathroom faucets for a clean, fresh surface.
Lemongrass, Lavender, and Ginger Carpet Deodorizer
Over time, your carpet may develop a funny smell that fills the room every time you enter. The good news is that you can simply remove the smell by spraying white vinegar onto the carpet. The vinegar smell will disappear and will absorb the odor.
However, if you want your carpet to smell fresh and sweet, you can use herbs like lemongrass and lavender. Here’s the recipe on how to make a herbal carpet deodorizer.
- One cup of baking soda
- A quarter cup of lavender flowers
- 10 drops of lemongrass essential oil
- 10 drops of ginger essential oil
- 10 drops of mandarin essential oil
- In a bowl, mix all the liquid ingredients and then pour the mixture over the baking soda and mix well.
- Sprinkle the mixture onto your carpet and allow it to sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Vacuum as usual. The mixture will leave a sweet, clean, and fresh fragrance on your carpet. You can use this blend on your mattress too.
Lemon Oil Furniture Polish
Lemon oil has a fresh, citrusy scent that keeps your home smelling fresh for days. This mixture can be used on wooden furniture to give it a good shine on top of a sweet fragrance.
- One cup of olive oil
- A quarter cup of fresh lemon juice
- A quarter cup of distilled white vinegar
- 25 drops of lemon essential oil
- Mix in a spray bottle all the ingredients and shake well until they have properly integrated.
- Spray onto a soft rag or cloth or directly onto the wooden furniture and buff immediately.
- The mixture will clean and condition the surfaces and leave them smelling good.
All Herbs All-Purpose House Cleaner
If you are looking for a cleaning solution for your bathroom, kitchen, living room, windows, or any other surface that needs cleaning and disinfecting, here’s your recipe.
- One cup of unflavored vodka
- One cup vinegar
- Two whole lemons
- Two cups of fresh herbs of your choice. You can combine several herbs that are your favorites, such as mint, lavender, thyme, basil, sage, rosemary, etc.
- A large jar
- Spray bottle
- Crash the ingredients using a mortar and pestle or the back of a spoon to help release the oils. Pour the mixture into a jar.
- Cut the lemons and add them to the jar.
- Add the vodka and vinegar into the jar.
- Let the mixture sit for a few hours or days.
- Strain out the herbs and lemon and pour the liquid into the spray bottle.
Enjoy clean surfaces with fresh scents all day long!
Using herbs in cleaning is not only cost-effective but also a safer and more effective method of cleaning. Not to mention environmentally friendly. The best part is that herbs will leave your house smelling good.
- New emergency rule bans fishermen from parts of Massachusetts Bay for 3 months
- What exactly is wind chill, and how is it calculated? Boston braces for arctic blast.
- Man sprints across Mass. highway to stop woman’s runaway car
- Three concerning trends keep sprouting up during the Bruins’ losing streak
- Body of 96-year-old woman found in Chicago garage freezer