Following a truly bizarre play at the end of Sunday’s Patriots-Raiders game, fans and sportscasters reacted on social media, as one would expect, with a steady stream of shock, snark, and general outrage.
On the final play of the 4th quarter with the score tied at 24, the Patriots attempted to win the game with a series of laterals, rather than heading safely into overtime. One of those laterals, pitched by wide receiver Jakobi Meyers, was intercepted by former Patriot Chandler Jones who took it to the end zone for the game-winner.
Here’s a sampling of the reaction on Twitter:
A decent “Waterboy” reference here:
The “Benny Hill Show” music was absolutely on point:
Sign up for Patriots updates🏈
Get breaking news and analysis delivered to your inbox during football season.
Stay up to date on all the latest news from Boston.com
- New emergency rule bans fishermen from parts of Massachusetts Bay for 3 months
- What exactly is wind chill, and how is it calculated? Boston braces for arctic blast.
- Man sprints across Mass. highway to stop woman’s runaway car
- Three concerning trends keep sprouting up during the Bruins’ losing streak
- Body of 96-year-old woman found in Chicago garage freezer